White shoes are elegant, but they only look better when they are crisp and clean.
As much as you like your clean and shiny pair, you still hate the time when it gets dirty. And the worst fact is that white shoes get dirty quickly compared to others. If they are not properly cleaned time to time, the dirt will get fixed in the shoe. After a while, the shiny white color would start to fade away. So let’s help you out how to make white shoes white again.
Cleaning white shoes isn’t easy. You must know the materials of your shoes before cleaning them. If you don’t use the correct product in the correct order, you might harm your shoes. Besides, there are many types of white shoes like Rubber shoe, Athletic or Sports Shoe, Suede Shoe, Canvas, etc. Even you can find special boots as companion with your favourite spotting scope on your next hunting tour.
So, you need to know what cleaning materials need to be used on which products. Using wrong detergent or washing agent would spoil the shoe. So, before you try to get it done in any wrong way, go through this article for understanding which products should you need to clean them. Here we are sharing the best way to clean different types of white shoes. But before that, you need to make a customized detergent or cleaning agent. To make that, you’ll need:
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Baking Soda
- Mixing Bowl
These items can be easily found at any general store or supermarket.
1. Add one tablespoon Baking Soda into a Mixing Bowl.
2. Mix half tablespoon water.
3. Then add a half tablespoon Hydrogen Peroxide.
4. Stir and mix those ingredients.
Ways to clean different type of white shoes:
1. Clean Suede Shoes:
- Add the detergent you just made in a bowl.
- Brush off the excess dirt from the shoe surface with a suede cleaning brush. If still some left on the surface, try scraping with an edgy knife to lift those naps.
- The brush can be used to remove the scuffed areas by a forward and backward motion.
- Water can discolor suede shoe. A nail brush and warm water can help removing the stains.
- Use any paper towel or sponge to take out excess water.
- Before drying them, don’t forget to remove the suede.
- Fill the shoe with paper while drying in the sun so temperature can’t change its shape. Don’t dry them in the washing machine.
- Apply Suede protecting spray on the shoe. It would help to protect your suede shoe from further water marks and stains. Don’t forget to remove excess dirt while applying the spray.
2. Canvas Shoes:
- Make sure to remove the laces before cleaning the shoe. You can wash the laces separately.
- Take a basin or tub and fill it with warm water. Add the customized detergent in the water. Canvas shoes are washable in washing machine.
- Use a scrub or a soft brush to clean the upper. The dirt needs to be cleaned with caution.
- After washing the shoes with soapy water, splash some fresh warm water to clean the detergent from the upper.
- If you don’t have enough time to dry them in the sun, you can soak the extra water from the shoe using a paper towel or tissue. But don’t use Newspaper. It might spill black ink color to your shoe. Canvas shoes can be dried in the cloth dryer also.
3. Athletic Shoes or Sports Shoes:
- Take a medium size container. Then fill it partially with fresh water. It would be better if you use warm water. Add some dishwashing soap or shampoo. Though some athletic shoes are washable in the washing machine, we would recommend not to wash them if you are not sure.
- After removing laces, dip a clean and soft brush in the mixed soap water and use it to scrub the dirt. Use a toothbrush to clean between the folds.
- Rinse the shoe with cold water from the tap.
- Fill the shoe with paper wipes, paper towels or tissue. It will soak the excess water from the sponge inside the shoe.
4. Rubber Shoes:
- Use a small tub or basin to wash your rubber shoes. But remember to clean the basin or tub with mildly warm water. You can even use a kitchen sink for this.
- Use an old cloth and soak it in soap or the detergent you made in the sink or basin.
- Use the soaked cloth to remove dirt from the surface of the rubber. If there are some left, use a hard scrub to take out tough stains.
- iv) Take a clean cloth and soak it in soap free, fresh and cold water. Use it to cleanse the upper of the shoe.
- When you finish wiping, keep it in a clean and dry place.
Next time your shoes get dirty, you know how to clean them. Follow the process given in this article. Make sure the detergent is made with precaution so that your shoes do not get spoiled.