Who don't love shoes? You may have an excellent collection of shoes. But they won’t last long if you can’t store them in a safe place. If you don't have a decent place to put them or maybe all of your family member's shoes are not fitting in your small shoe rack then what should you do? Don't worry. You can quickly build shoe rack on your own. Here’s how you should do it.
First of all, you are going to need some tools and materials to make a shoe rack. You may find them in your house, or you can buy them from a nearby store. Now, the tools you are going to need to build a shoe rack are as follows.
- A couple of screw guns, one with a driver, one with a counter sink. But make sure all of them are sharp.
- A sander
- A nail gun
- A protection glass to protect your eyeballs
- A good, sharp chisel
- A tape measure
- A four-foot level.
- A sharp table saw. Makita SP6000J Review can help you to get a better table saw.
Bellow is the list of materials you will need to make your rack:
A bunch of 3/4" plywood
Some edge banding
and some solid pine stock
Now Follow the Steps:
1. Now, when you are figuring out the size of your rack, there are a couple of stuff to take into consideration - mainly, how much space do you have and how big your shoes are. The length of the rack depends on your wall's length. Now you have to know how long your wall is. The width of the shelf depends on your shoe size. Now mark the center of the wall. Take the same amount of space from either side of the center. Do the same thing to choose the length of the rack.
2. After making this marks, draw the hole layout on the wall and see how it looks. Make sure when you do this you take your time and do it carefully. Feel free to make changes in the layout to fit your expectation. Keep it in mind that you have to do this according to your place. Also, you get that level mark and the plumb mark. Before doing that, you weren't sure about how would it look. Now you have an idea of exactly what the thing is going to look like in your space.
3. Now it's time to cut the woods. First, you are going to cut the both sides of the rack. Cut them according to your layout’s size and length. Note the measurements of your desired shoe rack. Cut those plywoods accordingly.
4. After cutting these pieces, mark at the top and bottom of each piece. That's how you will know which end is which. It will make your work easier.
5. Now it's time to figure out how much space is going to be on each shelf. To make this happen on the back of each side, space the mark for your shelves according to the height of your shoes. Now transfer those marks to the front and come down two inches. The reason we brought that mark down two inches is that the shelf needs to sit at an angle. This perspective will help to put your shoes nicely and smoothly. After making those two marks grab a straight edge and mark that line end to end.
6. After making this line along the side, you will know how many shelves you are going to have in your shoe rack. Now you have to cut your ¾ inch plywood. Cut them according to the layout you made in the wall.
7. Now, you need a hill hook which is a piece of wood that helps your shoes to stay on the self. You have to make that out of ¾ inch pine. To do that, you have to rip that down to ½ inch thick and then cross cut it to the same length as your shelves.
8. Now, go ahead and pre-drill some holes with a countersink. You have to do this just below the lines you have marked out for newly cut shelves. With those pilot holes cut, flip your sides over and countersink the back. You have to keep in mind that you have to go deep enough so that the head of the screw is buried properly. Otherwise, it won't work as you expected.
9. It is time to assemble the shelves. You have to space out your ½ inch heel hooks. From here they will catch the arch of your shoes. Now attach them properly with wood glue and a nail gun.
10. Before you put this thing together, you have to do some more work. You need to cover up the edges of the sides with some edge banding. It will make this thing nicer. Now with all your edge banding done, go ahead and trim off the excess with a good sharp chisel. Do it carefully. Don't cut yourself. Now you have to assemble the shelves one by one. Make sure that you set those screws nicely and comfortably into the pre-drilled holes that you countersank.
Now you have to make sure your rack doesn't fall once you put all of your shoes in it. You can do that with a nailer. That nailer has to go on the top shelf, but if you recall, it sits at an angle. It is a 10-degree angle. All right, put some screws in that nailer, and you are good to go. Your shoe rack is ready.
This is how so quickly; you can make your customized shoe rack. The whole process will only take about 2 hours. But we recommend yo to take an adult supervision before starting your work. It will save your time, and you will be safe from unwanted accidents.