How to Clean White Canvas Shoes
A white canvas looks good and enhances your fashion sense with ample comfort. But before buying a pair, you will have to keep in mind that it gets dirty very quickly. That's why you will have to keep these shoes clean from the first day. If you don’t take care of your shoes from the first day, then most probably they are already dirty. Now, what should you do? Here are some tips about how to clean white canvas shoes.
You can clean them with your hands, or you can use a washing machine too. It is entirely up to you which technic you want to use.
Follow the steps to clean white canvas shoes:
Your canvas shoes may look bad right now but believe me; they are completely salvageable with some items that you probably have already laying around your house. Here is the list of things you will need to clean your white canvas -
A cleaning detergent of your choice. Whether it is a laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid or natural alternative.
Paper towel or newspaper
A soft bristle brush
Follow The Steps:
- You should start off your shoes completely dry because loose dirt can be easily brushed off with your soft bristle brush before start scrubbing. Do it carefully and don’t let any big piece of mud or dirt to stick on the shoes.
- Remove the laces either toss them in the washing machine or wash them separately by hand or replace them with new ones.
- Now start with a bowl of water and mix detergent in it but don’t mix too much.
- Dip the brush into the soapy water and then start scrubbing on those stains in small circular motions. Don’t let the inside getting wet. Make sure that you are rinsing out the brush repeatedly as you go.
- Choose newspaper or paper towels to wrap up and place in the shoe to help it maintain its shape before it dries. Also, it speeds up the drying process.
- You may want to throw your shoes in the dryer to dry them super-quick. Don’t ever do that. It’s a wrong move. The heat of the dryer can break down the glue that is holding the shoe and sole. Dryer will ruin your favorite shoe so let it air dry.
Now you have cleaned your dirty shoes, but you may have a pair of stinky canvas shoes too. You just need baking soda and old sock to solve this problem. Just pour the baking soda into the sock and place the sock into the shoe overnight. In the morning, the smell will go away.
Things you need to wash your white canvas shoes by Washing Machine:
A small cup or bowl
An old toothbrush
Pillowcase or Delicates bag
Newspaper or Paper towel
And of course, you are going to need your washing machine
Follow The Steps:
- You have to start with dry shoes. If you have an old pair, dry them first. After drying those shoes, tap the soles together of the shoes to clear the treads. Now remove the larger pieces of mud and dirt. It will make the washing easier.
- Make an equal mixture of baking soda and water in a small cup or bowl. Keep in mind that it should look like cream. Don’t pour too much water.
- Now dip an old toothbrush into the solution and massage the paste into the soles of your shoes. Do it carefully (and) don't miss any place.
- Now wipe the soles clean with the brush or tissue.
- After that put your shoes and its parts into a pillowcase or bag. It will help to protect both the shoes and the washer getting crank up during the wash cycle. You have to make sure that your pillowcase or delicates bag is tightly tied. Otherwise, the shoes and its parts will fall out from the bag. It may ruin your shoes or your washing machine.
- Now place the pillowcase or delicates bag in the washing machine. Then remember to put the same amount of detergent you use for a small load of wash. Now wash those shoes with cold water. Give them a gentle cycle with cold water. Don’t even try to use hot water no matter how dirty your shoes are. Doing so will ruin your favorite shoes. And remember that don’t wash your shoes with other stuff like clothing. You could end up with ruining your clothes or your shoes. If you have colorful clothes, they may turn your white shoes into another color.
- After washing your shoes, it is time to dry them. Don't even try to tumble dry them not even on a low heat. Stuff your shoes either with newspaper or paper towel. It will help the shoes to keep them in their shape. After drying them, insert the shoe laces. If you still see some stain and the scuff mark, remove them by rubbing alcohol/lemon juice with an old toothbrush.
That’s how you clean your white canvas. After you finish cleaning, it will look like good as new. Follow the procedure in correct order. Don’t use unnecessary products like fabric softener or brightener. Cleaning with those products reduces the lifetime of canvas shoes.
You may also check this video,